Friday, June 18, 2010

A Morning Rambling

Have you watched the latest reality show yet? It's called " Work of Art: The Next Great Artist" and it aired on Bravo two weeks ago.I was a little put off by the whole notion of artists vying ala Project Runway and Celebrity Chef, but I've been a fan of Project Runway since its inception. Love that fast paced feverish pitch of young designers snipping and sewing away, deadlines imminent and collections to be presented. After watching the first episode of Next Artist I was captured mostly by the way the 14 chosen artists articulated their intentions. Most artists are not overly verbal about their own work, yet reading an artist's statement is often daunting. Words are wonderful, but I am a strong believer in mostly letting the work speak for itself, yet with conceptual art especially, I'm not sure it would suffice were it not for great text placed adjacent to the work. So, do we stand there reading,rather than studying the work and feeling its essential message, if any. But then, where would art history be? As I said last time, when I first "met" Rothko, I knew nothing about him or his raison d'etre, yet I fell in love. Ok, maybe it wasn't love at first sight, but when I was ready to fall I did. And I just stared and stared, consumed by the depth and intensity of his color. I'm not sure I cared about his philosophy, yet eventually, I sought it out. Unlike dating services, where we get the profile first, then move on to the real thing and assess whether we will move ahead with the relationship, my connection with art is all about love at first sight and not about the talk. Yet I am fascinated by artists who can intelligently speak about their work, especially since it all seems so deeply spiritual and emotional. That's just not the case for many. It's like a video game or a rubic's cube, vastly intellectual and strategically planned out. The artists on "Work of Art" are given projects that must be completed within a few hours. The bell rings and they're off. How does speed figure into the intrinsic value of a great work of art, or just a "good" work of art, or art? How long did it take Michelangelo to complete the Sistine Chapel? All right, I won't go there.

So, I'm off to my studio to work on some projects that I've committed to, one of them a 2 1/2 ' wooden peace sign that needs to be completed by the first week in August and the other a bra for a breast cancer fundraiser, also due in August. I've hated deadlines since I was a kid, but that's all about homework. Before I step into my studio, I think I'll meditate. That will take the edge off. I'll breathe in and out and shield myself in a protective bubble. And before that, I'll finish my coffee. Please don't ask me to explain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment